Monday, September 20, 2010

Pirates and Princess's


September 14, 2010

When we’re kids we have extraordinary dreams of being princess’ and pirates, mothers and firefighters, and rock stars and super heroes. Then when we grow into pre-teens its all about the dreams of fitting in, finding a click, a hobby that defines “you”.  But as we gradually mature into high school, we are faced with bigger dreams. Or are they even “dreams” anymore? We have to determine where we want to go to college, and choose a major that gives a stable career. And in our pursuits of college we are supposed to find a husband, get married, have three kids, grow old, have grandchildren…and then what’s left? Death? Is that a dream anymore, or is it just something the world demands from us?
It’s quite confusing at the Marriage of the Arts Discipleship Training School because it seems like we are being taught the opposite. Before I came here I felt like I had everything planned out to the specifics, down to having 7 boys and naming them all after months of the year. But I came here to Germany, and its like my whole world is already shaken up in a week.
Don’t plan! Don’t decide for yourself; instead, let God direct your ways, your dreams, and your hopes. It’s like erasing my entire hard drive and rebooting my whole system. I have to start from scratch, and rely all on God and not what I want. Yes, I know God wants me to follow my dreams, but it’s not about my dreams anymore. It’s about OUR dreams, OUR plans, OUR hopes. So now what? I have no idea.
I’m slowly and gradually learning this new way of life, but I know that even my deepest desires and my most intricate ideas can barley compare to what God has for me. I’m scared, I’m nervous, but I’m ready to embrace His adventure for my life.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Ellie. It takes most folks a life time to get it. God never disappoints or lets you down! Its an awesome ride when you hand the reins over to Him. Praying for you sweetie! Love your photos. As I have said before you capture the very essence of a person through the lens. HUGs! Miss Tina

    ReplyDelete